Roasted Banana Cupcakes
From Martha Stewart's Cupcakes
- 3 ripe bananas, plus 1-2 more for garnish
- 2 cups cake flour (no self-rising), sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 strick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Honey Cinnamon Frosting (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 400*F. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Place 3 whole unpeeled bananas on a baking sheet and roast 15 minutes (the peels will darken). Meanwhile, sift together cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Remove bananas from oven and let cool before peeling. Reduce oven temperature to 350*F.
- With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add roasted bananas, and beat to combine. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of sour cream, and beating until just combined after each. Beat in vanilla.
- In another mixing bowl, with electric mixer on medium speed, whisk egg whites to soft peaks; fold one-third whites into batter to lighten. Gently fold in remaining whites in two batches.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers come out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely. Cupcakes can be stored up to 3 days at room temperature, or frozen up to 2 months, in airtight containers.
- To finish, fill a pastry bag fitted with a medium French-star tip (Ateco #863 or Wilton #363) with frosting. Pipe seven scallops around perimeter of cupcake, and pipe a large starburst in the center. Just before serving, thinly slice remaining bananas, and place 2 pieces on top of each cupcake.
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat all ingredients until smooth. Use immediately, or refrigerate up to 5 days in an airtight container; before using, bring to room temperature and beat until smooth.