Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The "Eff It" Phase

Oh how naive people can be.  I am going to say today I am one of them.

Here I am on SpouseBuzz last month, reading an entry from one of their writers of how they had just had it with a deployment, and a reader wrote in "that's the 'eff it' phase!"  I thought to myself, I don't think I'm going to go through that phase.  I'm pretty level headed, I don't really think that's going to happen to me.  Haha.  WRONG.

Usually I'm good at not being naive, I listen to people and what they tell me.  I'm a goody two shoes, by the book, personality.  Now this doesn't mean I wouldn't chop off my hair and dye it pink, but I don't like trouble or confrontation.  I like peoples advice.  I like word of mouth.  If it's good, it's good.  If you shouldn't do it, I won't do it.  It's pretty simple most of the time.

Yesterday seemed fine (even as February has NOT been my month).  I got off work early, the day was absolutely beautiful.  Still not feeling 100% (my spouse is still gone) but good nonetheless.  So I get to my parent's house to get my dog and found all of the remaining items left in my old room packed up in boxes.  Now, I gave my mother SPECIFIC instructions.  Do not package up anything but the stuff in the closet (there were some winter clothes, random shoes, shirts, and military stuff).  What did she do?  Package everything.  EVERYTHING.  You know how you stick personal items in your drawers (does anyone do that??).  Yeah.  Packaging up dresser = going through my things.  Thank you very much.

All of the bad moments I had in this month had come to a head.  So I'm frustrated, I wanted to call someone and just sob on the phone and be miserable about it, but couldn't.  Many people were still at work and my best friend doesn't have access to a phone.  Awesome.  I grab all of my stuff (minus our mini fridge) and put it in the car.  I take my dog, go home.  Stair at the walls until I get to talk to my husband.

And then I cry.

Then today I get a phone call to speak to him on a day which has ended badly.  Don't get me wrong, there wasn't anything horrible, but he experiences a roller coaster of emotions dealing with people over there.  That doesn't sit well with me, but what can you do?  Nothing.  So I do what I can and let him go to bed.

My father came out here, went on a walk with Stryker and me.  He hung up something for me and left, taking Stryker along with him so that I didn't have to worry about him tomorrow at work.  I left to run errands.  I realized then that I was sad.  Sad my husband was gone, sad my dog was gone.  Mad that I had to go run around to go to a grocery store that had a decent wine selection (it's one of those nights).  Clothing sales didn't have a write in the rain pad.  I forgot a few things.  I found myself hating people I didn't know.  Men who I would normally want to run up and hug just because they were wearing a uniform I didn't want them to even look in my direction.  I didn't like any of it.  The uniforms, the way people did things in their "orderly" fashion, the old outdated buildings.  I found myself just not liking anyone or anything.

Then I realized it....This is the "Eff It" Phase.

For those who haven't dealt with a deployment (which I know many of my readers have) this blog was a great article to tell how spouses/girlfriend feel.  I think it's a good read for anyone (spouses/girlfriend/fiances included) to relate to:

Have You Been Through a Deployment?

Yes, I realize there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  And of course I love our men and women in uniform.  It's just one of those days.  I just want March to come.....And fast.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not looking to that phase when Brandon's deployed. I sometimes get little previews of it when he's gone but nothing compared to how you're feeling. Just keep your chin up and push through. Know that it's ok to cry and feel angry but you have to pick yourself up after a couple of days and go on. You can do it! And you can always talk to me if you need to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started our deployment and I am sure I will have that day. What a great post- I truly enjoyed your "authentic" writing style. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wes isn't deployed right now, but I totally feel you. Good for you for having your first "eff it" moment far along in the game. I feel like I have mine pretty dang frequently, especially being overseas. :) Cry all you want, girl! I don't care what people say, it totally helps. I talked about you a little in my last blog post and added a direct link to your blog. I hope you don't mind! I'm always here to vent to. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I might take you guys up on your offers sometime!

    Oh and Dana - I don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete

Labeling

100 Day Photo Challenge 30 Days 30 Days of Thankfulness 5K AMERICA Anniversaries April 2010 Photos Around the Skagit Atlanta Baking BBQin' Birthday Celebrations Black Friday Blog Awards Blog Hop BMW's Breakfast Food Breast Cancer Awareness Care Package Stuff Christmas Christmas Cards for Our Soldiers Color of the Day Cookies Courtesy of the Red White and Blue Crazy Internet Stuff Cupcakes December 2009 Photos December 2010 Dinner Recipes DIY Do the Puyallup Easter Eastern Washington Fall Family Stuff Fishing For the Love of Animals FRG Friday Fill In Friday Follow Friends Ft. Benning Ft. Lewis Georgia Getting Crafty Getting to Know Me Good Reads Halloween Happy New Year Hawaii Healthy Food Heartbreaking Homecomings House in Washington I love Starbucks Independence Day Instagram January 2011 Jesse Jesse Updates Jesse's Army Marriage Retreat May 2010 Photos Military Spouse Awesomeness Military Spouse Round-Up Misc. Food Info Moving Right Along My Job My Parent's House Navy Stuff New House News Stories of Note Nostalgia November 2009 Photos November 2010 Ocean Shores October 2010 Oktoberfest Orange Other FRG's Photo a Day May 2012 Photo Booth Photogenic Photos from February 2010 Photos from October 2009 Photos of January 2010 Pity Parties Pool Time Post-it Note Tuesday Quote of the Day Road Trippin' Run to Remember Seahawks Seattle shelter dogs Shopping Southwestern Washington Coast Spring Spuz the Cat St. Patrick's Day Stryker the Dog Superbowl Thank a Veteran Thanksgiving The 365 Project of 2011 Thursday Five Us Time Valentine's Day Veteran's Day Visit these LInks What I'm doing these 9 months Why I LOVE the Pacific NW Wine Wednesday Winter Wordless Wednesday Yakima Wine Country