Herb Roast Chicken with Root Vegetables
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Chicken (4 lb)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 Large russet potato, sliced into 1/8" rounds
- 2 Onions, quartered
- 4 large carrots, cut into large chunks
How to Make it:
- Preheat the oven to 450*F. Mix the garlic, rosemary, lemon zest, and half of the olive oil.
- Working on the chicken, gently separate the skin from the flesh at the bottom of the breast and spoon in half of the rosemary mixture; use your hands to spread it around as thoroughly as possible. Spread the remaining half over the top of the chicken and then season with plenty of salt and pepper.
- Mix the potato, onions, carrots, remaining olive oil, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Arrange the vegetables in the bottom of a roasting pan and place the chicken on top, breast side up. Roast for 20-30 minutes, until skin is lightly browned
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350*F and roast for another 30 minutes or so. The chicken is done with the juices between the breast and leg run clear and an instant-read thermometer inserted deep into the thigh reads 155*F.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving. Serve with the vegetables.
We had this along with salad and some dinner bread :)
If you try it, let me know what you think!