Friday, January 8, 2010

A Letter a Day, Hoosier Bars, and MORE

So I think I decided that I'm going to try and write Jesse a letter a day.  Now, I know that I may have said this before, but I think I am going to.  The mail isn't very quick getting over there, but I think that is my new goal.  Maybe we can call that my New Year's Resolution?  I don't know... I told Jesse I didn't have a New Year's Resolution, that I had enough to worry about.  He didn't really like that answer!

So, going back a couple of days, Wednesday was my day off.  I went and met a friend, Kristen, who's husband went through the same training as Jesse did at Ft. Benning.  They got up here almost two months after Jesse and I, so he left about two months after Jesse (he too is in 5th Brigade).  Her and I weren't close at Ft. Benning, but since I have lived here all of my life (or most of it at least) I offered to help them if the needed anything.  It will be good to have someone close by that is going through much of the same things as me!  She and I went to Marshall's and to Panera for lunch.  We talked for a long time, and we had a good time.  I also mailed Jesse his first care package in a little over a week.  I know that Jesse likes mail so I send something to him as often as I can.

Yesterday I ran some errands, made a few phone calls, and went out to the house.  I made progress at the house, I opened 3-4 boxes, which is good.  I haven't found our sheets or our bedding as of yet, but am finding a lot of bedroom stuff.  I also found all of our silverware, plates, glasses, and mugs, so that is progress!

After all of that I went to a downrange update, and I'm glad to hear that the guys are doing good things over there!  The Battalion Commander and Sergeant  Major are going to be taking leave in the near future, and both of them will be speaking to the spouses on how everything is going over there.  Overall, it was a positive meeting, and informative.  Most of the stuff they covered was 2-1 oriented, keep in mind Jesse is "detached" from 2-1 and much of them aren't in the same area as him.  But again, things are good and they are making progress over there.

Today I went out and got Stryker's stitches taken out!  He seems happy they are gone.  He really liked the veterinarian there, LOVED that he was giving him treats.  It was very funny.  He did well getting the stitches and is going to have to take antibiotics for another week to be sure that he has rid of his infection.  In total we were at the vet maybe 20 minutes, so basically in and out.  I went out to Michael's to visit my mom at work.  They already have spring flowers, Valentine's Day, and St. Patrick's Day.  They also have a bunch of their spring candles, candleholders, etc., out so it was tempting not to walk out with everything in my cart!  I did buy some Valentine's Day stuff for Jesse along with a couple of St. Patrick's Day things....  I'm getting excited to send him the stuff!  Which brings me to my next topic.....

Hoosier Bars!  I think I'm going to make an entire batch to send to Jesse (maybe for Valentine's Day).  I know when I say that name that people give me the strangest look... But they are good.  Chocolate, peanut butter, peanuts, and meringue bar cookies.  Basically Jesse really likes them and I'm pretty fond of them myself.  So, I wanted to share it with you.

Hoosier Peanut Bars
Preheat Oven to 325*
Crust:

  • 2 c. all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 c. butter, softened
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Topping:
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 c. chopped salted peanuts
In large mixer bowl combine all ingrediens for crust.  Blend with mixer until particles are find.  Press in a greased 13x9-inch pan.

To prepare topping beat egg whites in small mixer bowl until soft mounds form.  Add brown sugar gradually and continue beating until meringue stands in stiff peaks.  Fold in chocolate pieces and 1/2 c. peanuts.  Spread over crumb crust and sprinkle with remaining peanuts.

Bake at 325* for 40 to 45 minutes.  While warm, cut into bars.

Makes 36 bars.

Please let me know how you like them if you try them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labeling

100 Day Photo Challenge 30 Days 30 Days of Thankfulness 5K AMERICA Anniversaries April 2010 Photos Around the Skagit Atlanta Baking BBQin' Birthday Celebrations Black Friday Blog Awards Blog Hop BMW's Breakfast Food Breast Cancer Awareness Care Package Stuff Christmas Christmas Cards for Our Soldiers Color of the Day Cookies Courtesy of the Red White and Blue Crazy Internet Stuff Cupcakes December 2009 Photos December 2010 Dinner Recipes DIY Do the Puyallup Easter Eastern Washington Fall Family Stuff Fishing For the Love of Animals FRG Friday Fill In Friday Follow Friends Ft. Benning Ft. Lewis Georgia Getting Crafty Getting to Know Me Good Reads Halloween Happy New Year Hawaii Healthy Food Heartbreaking Homecomings House in Washington I love Starbucks Independence Day Instagram January 2011 Jesse Jesse Updates Jesse's Army Marriage Retreat May 2010 Photos Military Spouse Awesomeness Military Spouse Round-Up Misc. Food Info Moving Right Along My Job My Parent's House Navy Stuff New House News Stories of Note Nostalgia November 2009 Photos November 2010 Ocean Shores October 2010 Oktoberfest Orange Other FRG's Photo a Day May 2012 Photo Booth Photogenic Photos from February 2010 Photos from October 2009 Photos of January 2010 Pity Parties Pool Time Post-it Note Tuesday Quote of the Day Road Trippin' Run to Remember Seahawks Seattle shelter dogs Shopping Southwestern Washington Coast Spring Spuz the Cat St. Patrick's Day Stryker the Dog Superbowl Thank a Veteran Thanksgiving The 365 Project of 2011 Thursday Five Us Time Valentine's Day Veteran's Day Visit these LInks What I'm doing these 9 months Why I LOVE the Pacific NW Wine Wednesday Winter Wordless Wednesday Yakima Wine Country